Sunday, November 30, 2008

Taper begins again!

I'm now just one week away from my last race of the year, Ironman Western Australia in Busselton.

It's one of my all time favorite races and places to be. I feel like a kid at Christmas, I just can't wait to get there! It's my 5th time racing, on their 5th anniversary.

My training has gone exceptionally well in my new home on the Sunshine Coast. I don't feel like I'm at the end of the year, with any kind of fatigue. I feel just the opposite and am jumping out of my skin to race. My fitness has been building since August, and this time of year has historically been great for me. I've grown as an athlete alongside this race, almost always achieving PRs, which made it all the more special to have my first win there last year.

My taper is just one week long, which is perfect. I did a one week taper for the first time in Hawaii and it worked really well. Usually after a couple of weeks of tapering, I am in such a sluggish, lazy, relaxed mode that come race day, I almost don't feel like racing! And there is actually something hormonal going on that explains this. So shortening the taper to just one week allows me to be still in active mode, and on race day I feel ready to go.


If you want to come and say hello, I'll most likely be spending a bit of time helping my husband on the TP Therapy stand at the Expo.

Charlotte

1 comment:

Matt said...

Good luck at IM WA!