Monday, August 18, 2008

My First Olympic Distance Triathlon



It is shocking that in my 6 years in triathlon I have never raced an Olympic distance race until today, at the Kelowna Apple Triathlon.

Since it was my first foray into this distance, and it was the Canadian Championships, I raced incognito as an age grouper. I won my AG, in 2 hours 13. I was really happy with my race, although I think I only awoke after the swim.(24.40) The bike was a 3 lap course, with lots of turns and a nasty little hill- that I actually really enjoyed. I felt strong, and it was great to be racing.(1.05) The run was good too. I wanted to go under 40 mins, but did a 40.20, but I'm still pleased. It was a good result after only a few weeks running again since injury problems. My legs felt great. I've also had a pretty solid week so very happy.

So a fun day.
Kristian had a flat on the bike, and didn't have the tools to fix it. He wasn't too disappointed since it's his first flat in a race ever. He did the run anyway, and yes ran faster than me- but he had fresher legs:)


So today might be better remembered for Australia winning our first Triathlon Gold medal at the Olympics. Emma Snowsill had an awesome race, and I am really happy for her. Congrats also to Emma Moffat for getting the bronze. A great day for Australian triathlon.

Charlotte

No comments: